Valentine’s Day Dangers for Pets

Valentine’s Day Dangers for Pets

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! This is a wonderful time to show appreciation for that special someone in your life. Unfortunately, this romantic holiday can be quite dangerous for our furry friends! Here, a Columbia, MD veterinarian lists some Valentine’s Day hazards for pets.

Chocolate

Good chocolates are delicious, melty, pieces of heaven as far as we are concerned. This yummy treat can be very dangerous to Fluffy and Fido, however. Ingesting chocolate can cause your pet to vomit, have diarrhea, or tremble, and can also cause abnormal heartbeats. In severe cases, it can even cause seizures or collapse! Keep your chocolate stash away from your furry companion.

Xylitol

Xylitol is also very dangerous for pets, and is particularly concerning because it is found in many things that would otherwise be safe, such as certain peanut butter brands. Some products that could contain xylitol include candies, candy bars, baked goods, and many processed foods. Always check labels before offering your furry buddy a snack.

Flowers

Bouquets are a classic part of this lovers’ holiday. However, many flowers are toxic to our four-legged friends. Lilies, for instance, can cause your pet to suffer vomiting, lethargy, and drooling, and can even cause kidney failure in cats. Roses are another concern: while they aren’t toxic, the thorns can cause severe internal injuries. Choose pet-friendly flowers. If you receive a bouquet with dangerous plants, keep it well out of paws’ reach. (Tip: check the ASPCA site for a full list of safe and unsafe plants.)

Candles

A romantic candlelit dinner is a wonderful way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. However, candles and pets can be a very dangerous combination. Always keep candles in high, secure places where your furkid can’t reach them. Potpourri burners and fireplaces can also be dangerous to pets.

Gifts

Many pets like to play with ribbons and bows, which can be serious choking hazards. Smaller gifts, like jewelry, can also be dangerous. Keep any presents away from Fido and Fluffy.

Wine

While some animals will turn their cute noses up at alcohol, some of our furry pals will eat or drink, well, just about anything. Never give your four-legged buddy alcohol: this can be very dangerous!

Do you have questions about your pet’s health or care? Contact us! As your Columbia, MD pet clinic, we’re here to provide your pet with excellent care.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter